IPV6

Graham Cobb g+tinc at cobb.uk.net
Sun Mar 11 18:19:11 CET 2012

I have been using tinc for an IP V4 VPN for many years.  I am about to start
looking at IP V6.

All the examples I have found use switch mode.  I really don't want to use
switch mode -- this is a wide-area network, plus it will include several
different networks and I want to be able to put in place firewall rules
between some of them.  I plan a star topology, with a central routing (and
firewall) node with tinc connections to each site where there is a router
handling that site's subnets (or, in some cases, just single nodes).

Is there any reason I cannot use router mode for IPV6?  Any disadvantages?

I think, from the documentation, that that means that IP multicast will not
work -- while certainly not critical, is there any chance of getting it to
work (through the central router)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Graham