NFS4 over tinc hangs

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Mar 11 09:46:52 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 08:29:42PM -0500, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> The server has 4 relevant network interfaces:
>
> eth0 - Internet
> eth1 - Internal network
> hbt  - Tinc VPN
> vnet0 - Virtual hosts
> br0 - Bridge between eth1 and vnet0
>
> The hbt, br0 (i.e., eth1 and vnet0) interfaces share a common
> 192.168.1.0/24 network. Proxy ARP is enabled for br0 and hbt.

Just out of curiosity, why do you use proxy ARP in this case instead of adding
hbt to the bridge? I assume you are you using Mode = switch?

> I am using tinc 1.0.16 on 3.0.0, 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on both server
> and client.
>
> The problem is that as soon as more than three tinc clients are
> accessing the NFS shares, any operations on the NFS mountpoints by the
> clients hang. On the clients, tinc then takes 100% CPU time. On the
> server, the tinc stance runs with about 20% load. When activating tinc
> debugging, tinc seems to be busy forwarding packets. I also ran a packet
> sniffer which showed me that 90% of the packets were NFS related, but I
> am not familiar enough with NFS to be able to tell anything from the
> packets themselves.

Can you show me a few lines of the debug messages when it is busy forwarding?
Also, without full debugging enabled, when this happens, run "tincd -n
<netname> -kUSR2" on one of the clients using 100% CPU and on the server, and
send me the node, edge and subnet list that tinc logged. This allows me to see
if there could be a routing loop within tinc or if there is another cause for
this problem.

Also please try out tinc 1.0.17 which has just been released, and check whether
it also runs into the same problem.