netname by id - possible?

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Tue Jul 3 14:18:35 CEST 2012

hi!

On Tuesday 03 July 2012 13:55:14 Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 12:04:17PM +0200, Jan Lühr wrote:
> > [1]  We've seen up to 1MBit/s of mgmt-traffic (tinc + batman-adv) in a
> > network with 15 nodes - which is way too much for our freifunk-network,
> > that uses private ADSL-links
> Certainly not 1 Mbit/s continuous traffic? I would only suspect such an
> amount for just a second when a node makes a connection.

Well, it’s not exactly tinc’s fault, but the combination of batman-adv with
tinc. batman-adv sends out broadcast packets once every second (default), to
maintain the wireless mesh connections. When sending these packets over tinc-
tunnels, this adds another broadcast domain and therefore tinc acts as a
"multiplier" for these packets.

In Luebeck we are aware of this issue and are working on a solution. The kbu-
community is also aware of this (Jan works on the firmware for kbu). We think,
this can’t be solved within tinc without some redesign of the protocol.

bye then
julian

PS: adding neoraider to CC, since I don’t know if he’s reading this list (he
works on the solution for luebeck.freifunk.net firmware)