Newbe

ALAN LAWEE alan.lawee at bell.net
Mon Jan 2 06:10:53 CET 2012

The ISP that you use will not affect the operation of tinc.  However,
whether you have Static (same IP address all the time) or Dynamic IP (can
change each time you log on to the Internet, or after a certain 'lease'
period) will affect how you set tinc  up.

Both Cable (Time-Warner) and DSL (AT&T) offer plans with each option, so you
really must find out which option you have.

My experience with Cable plans is that even though the IP address offered by
the plan is Dynamic, it changes only rarely.

Assuming that you have a Dynamic IP plan for both the home and the office,
you will need a way to let tinc 'find' the other end of the connection.  It
would be a pain to have to call someone at the office to look up the current
IP address when you are at home, so, fortunately, there is another option
you can use.  It is called DDNS, or Dynamic Domain Name Services.
Basically, you need to sign up for a Dynamic Domain Name for both the office
and for home with a DDNS provider (I use dyndns.org, which has provided a
free service for simple needs for many years - you may have to search to
find out if they still offer this.  There are other sites that offer similar
services, like no-ip.com, but I cannot offer you any recommendations).

Many recent broadband routers offer DDNS support, which means that you
configure the router with your DDNS hostname, and the router takes care of
updating the IP address whenever it changes.  If that will not work for you,
it is possible to create a script on a workstation which will do this for
you.  You will have to set this up for both the home and the office
locations.

For example, let's say you are using a DDNS provider who offers its members
the fictitious DNS name base "free.DDNS.us".  You would then set up 2
hostnames, one for the office (TomsOffice.free.ddns.us) and one for your
home (TomsHome.free.ddns.us).  From there you would simply use those
hostnames in the 'Address' parameter of the tinc host files.

Without the actual config files, or any knowledge of your environment (OS,
version, etc.), I cannot make any other suggestions, except to say that the
manual is both clear and concise - you need to read it carefully and follow
all of the steps that apply to your situation.

Hope this helps.  Regards,

Alan