Tinc CPU usage

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Oct 28 22:57:57 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 07:59:47AM +1300, Karl von Randow wrote:

> >> Hi, I'm using Tinc v1.0.11 on Ubuntu 10.04 and seeing high CPU usage
> >> (up to 30%) on what I wouldn't consider high traffic levels.
> >
> > It all depends on how much traffic and what kind of CPU you have. Can you give
> > some numbers?
>
> I'm measuring it off my munin graphs and it appears to be about 15-20Mbps on average over the period I noticed about 30% CPU usage.
>
> It's running on a Rackspace Cloud server so I'm not really sure about the CPU... quad core AMD Opteron, each with 4400 bogomips. The MHz figure is a bit odd at 1814865.106. The servers are running database instances and application server instances quite capably without high CPU utilisation so I believe the CPU is well powered.

If your server is a Xen instance, then this could explain the high CPU usage.
Several people have mentioned high CPU usage to me when running tinc in a
virtual machine. I suspect it is caused by lots of context switches between the
VM running tinc and the hyervisor sending/receiving packets on the real
network interface. I don't know what you can do to improve it.