Problem communicating from server to client

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Wed Oct 12 19:24:21 CEST 2011

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus-BTH8mxji4b0 at public.gmane.org> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I've set up a tinc "server" named "spitzer" in proxy arp mode, and a
> client "inspiron" that connects to it.
>
> inspiron runs tinc 1.0.16, spitzer runs 1.0.11.
>
> Ping and ssh from inspiron to spitzer and other hosts in the network
> (via spitzer) works fine.
>
> Ping and ssh from other hosts in the network to inspiron works fine
> (i.e. going through spitzer works fine)
>
> However, ping and ssh from spitzer to inspiron does not work.
[...]

Ok, with some wireshark debugging I finally figured it out. The problem
was actually on the server, my tinc-up script looked like this:

ip link set $INTERFACE up
ip route add 192.168.1.2/32 dev $INTERFACE

But that didn't assign the IP address to the interface, it just added
the route and brought the interface up. Packets originating on the
server then came with the wrong source IP (in this case the one from the
eth0 interface).

Using

ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.255

instead of the two ip calls fixed the problem. There is probably also a
suitable option to the ip link command, but this was a faster fix.

Best,

   -Nikolaus