Once again.Tinc for gaming

Sich sich at cafe-philo.net
Sat Oct 1 12:55:58 CEST 2011

Le 30/09/2011 14:48, Leon Merten Lohse a écrit :
> Howdy,
>
> I would like to bring this topic up again. Gaming via tinc. We use
> tinc-1.0.16 on Linux, Win7 and WinXP so far.
> Setup was pretty straight forward. All the nodes have mode set to
> switch and subnet to 10.0.0.0/24.
> Ping works, smb shares work. Everything seems fine BUT connecting
> ingame only works with 1 out of 5 games.
> In some games, we see each other in the lobby. I conclude, that UDP
> broadcasts work. In some games only the Win7 machine sees the WinXP
> machine. But even then, most games crash, when we try to actually
> connect.
>
> I doubt this is a limitation of tinc. It's more likely to be a
> configuration problem, I guess.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Leon

Hello,

In some games the broadcast is only send on one interface...
If you want to use tinc for gaming you will need to have only 1 ethernet
interface.
For this you have to build a bridge between your local card and the tinc
virtual card.

With this you will have to setup all your local lan on the same network
that the vpn (in your case 10.0.0.0/24).
Take care on duplicate ip on all the network (your but the others to)
and for dhcp server... The dhcp will go through the vpn, and your dhcp
server can provide ip for people on other network.

It's the only way I have found to be able to play on all games through LAN.

Sich