Weird behaviour between Windows Vista & Windows 7 VPN - can anyone help?. Still no success

Alan S. Lawee info at polygration.com
Mon Jun 20 18:48:26 CEST 2011

I am at a loss to explain why it still doesn't work.  I regenerated the keys
and have eliminated the 'Bogus data received message'.  In fact, the debug
log looks totally normal now.  However, when I try to 'ping' from the Home
PC to the Office PC, I get a 'request timed out' message & Windows
Networking is still not able to see the PC at the other end.  I do see a
burst of activity in the debug log window when I issue the 'ping' request,
so I'm pretty certain that the message is getting across to the other side.

I was reluctant to use the 'switch' mode because I didn't really understand
if the traffic going across the VPN would be limited to what was generated
by the PC running the tinc daemon, or if all traffic on the LAN would be
forwarded.  Now that you have recommended it and I am using it, I'm
beginning to wonder if the problem isn't to do with the firewall (Norton
Internet Security).  I will try to verify this by disabling the firewall the
next time I visit the client.  I did open port 655 on both the physical
adapter and the TAP adapter, but I'm now wondering if there is something
more that I have to do.

This is all very perplexing.  Thanks for the help,

Alan