Maximum number of nodes?

Flynn Marquardt flynn at flynn.mine.nu
Tue Jul 12 08:43:24 CEST 2011

Am 11.07.2011 23:23, schrieb Guus Sliepen:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:50:43PM +0200, Versteegh Telecom wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to tell in a Tinc network, the maximum
>> number of nodes that can be connected to a Tinc vpn?
> There is no limit in tinc itself. However, each known node uses a few kilobytes
> of memory (worst case), and by default you can only have 1024 open
> filedescriptors, which limits the amount of nodes that you can ConnectTo. So if
> you have a star topology, the central node can only maintain meta connections
> with approximately 1000 nodes. This does not affect UDP communication though.
The limit of 1024 file descriptors is only a default value under
Linux/UNIX, it can changed
by calling

       ulimit -n nr

(nr number of open file descriptors) before starting tinc. I never
tested this with tinc, but with lighttpd it works perfect.
Running Linux, the number of all open file descriptors
is limited by /proc/sys/fs/file-max, but even this variable is writable.

Windows has a higher default value of open file descriptors.

Flynn