Tinc performance on a Dir-300

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 03:15:53 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> wrote:
> Note that nice -n 20 actually lowers the priority. However, the kernel does
> behave differently when you nice a process, it could be that tinc does receive
> some kind of benefit from this.

Thanks for catching that ... clearly i was not typing carefully.
Here are the relevant portions of my modified /etc/init.d/tincd
script, NICEPARAMS=' -n -20 ' is minus 20.

TINCD=/usr/local/sbin/tincd
TCONF=/usr/local/etc/tinc
TPIDS=/usr/local/var/run
DEBUG=--debug=2
#DETACH=--no-detach
LOGFILE=--logfile=/var/log/tinc.log
MEMLOCK=--mlock
NICE=/bin/nice
NICEPARAMS=' -n -20 '

.
.
.

    # start tincd
    echo $NICE $NICEPARAMS $TINCD $DETACH $DEBUG $MEMLOCK --net="$1"
$LOGFILE >> /var/log/tinc.log
    $NICE $NICEPARAMS $TINCD $DETACH $DEBUG $MEMLOCK --net="$1" $LOGFILE || \
	{ MSG="could not start daemon for network $1"; return 3; }