Windows subnets

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Oct 8 13:05:19 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 11:12:27PM -0400, Donald Pearson wrote:

> From Computer A, when you try to ping 10.30.1.130, it will know that this IP
> *is* on a network computer A belongs to, the 10.30.1.0/24 network.  So it
> will do an ARP request (broadcast) to get the MAC address associated with
> the 10.30.1.130 IP.   The local Tinc gateway will ultimately (I believe,
> Guus can speak on this with more authority than I can) perform the job of
> proxy ARP to get the traffic to the destination on the other side of the
> VPN.

Tinc doesn't do proxy-ARP in this case, it acts like a regular Ethernet switch,
and forwards the ARP request to all other nodes. The computer that has the IP
address mentioned in the ARP request will ultimately receive that ARP request,
and generate the ARP reply, which will be sent back to Computer A.