Windows subnets

Donald Pearson donaldwhpearson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 00:40:36 CEST 2010

Oh okay.  Yes you can make it appear as a single LAN.  Your Tinc nodes will
behave as bridges instead of routers (or gateways as you put it).

Your tinc nodes will have the same subnet mask and default router as all
your other devices at that location.

You will need to run the add-tap script only on the tinc nodes on each side.

You will then need to bridge the tap adapter to the local area connection on
the tinc nodes on each side.

This will create a bridge network object under your network connections.
This bridge will have the IP configuration you illustrated.

You have the right idea in segregating the IP distribution while still using
the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

One both nodes are up and connected, and the interfaces have been bridged on
the Tinc nodes for each location, you will have a virtual LAN between the
two locations.

Your Tinc configuration will be Switch mode.   This means no Subnet
configurations are required in your tinc.conf

Your tinc.conf will be something like

Name = NodeA
ConnectTo = NodeB
Interface = <something>
Mode = switch
PrivateKeyFile = <path to the rsa_key.priv>

Host files will be something like
For the host file named "NodeA"

Address = <host.dyndns.org>
PMTUDiscovery = Yes