tinc optimal packet route selection

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Mar 26 16:44:26 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 04:04:41PM +0100, Claus Strasburger wrote:

> >> So my question is: is there already a way to integrate Dijkstra in a
> >> current beta or is this not yet implemeted?
> >
> > It is implemented in the 1.1 branch. If you want you can try it out:
> >
> > git clone git://tinc-vpn.org/tinc -b 1.1
>
> Could this be a typo? -b doesn't work, and -o as well as -v gives me
> 1.0.12, or is the version number just wrong?

It's not a typo, that exact command works for me... Otherwise, you can also get
a tarball of the latest version from the git repository:

http://tinc-vpn.org/git/browse?p=tinc;a=snapshot;h=refs/heads/1.1;sf=tgz

> Also, where do I set the weight of a connection, if I get 1.1 up running?

I see I did not document this feature yet. You can add "Weight = <value>" to a
host config file of a node, and when a connection with that node is made, it
will use <value> as the weight. Lower values are better, so just add "Weight =
0" to give a preference to connections via that node.  Once tinc is running,
you can give the following commands to get a list of all nodes and edges:

tincctl -n <netname> dump nodes
tincctl -n <netname> dump edges

The list of nodes will show a parameter distance, which is the sum of the
weights of the shortest path to that node.  The list of edges will show a
parameter weight, which is the weight of the connection between two nodes.
While you are at it, read gui/README.gui and give that a try as well.