tinc optimal packet route selection

Claus Strasburger nixnick at online.de
Fri Mar 26 13:04:49 CET 2010

Am 26.03.2010 12:38, schrieb Guus Sliepen:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:20:45PM +0900, heroxbd at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have two group of tinc nodes, say A and B. The network quality between
>> A and B is unstable.
>>
>> I am wondering what algorithm tinc is using for delivering and relaying
>> packets. How does one tinc node decide which the "next hop" is when its
>> destination can not be reached directly or too slow to reach directly?
>
> In tinc 1.0.x, it will use a path with the least number of hops. If there are
> multiple paths with the same number of hops, it will pick one, but not based on
> the link quality.
>
> In tinc 1.1 it will use Dijkstra's algorithm to find the path with the smallest
> weight. You can manually assign a weight to a connection, otherwise tinc will
> determine it automatically based on how fast the authentication phase goes.

We have the same problem in our network, because we have a root server
with a fast connection that should direct all the treffic between nodes
w/o dyndns and the ability to open ports (for instance notebooks in
public wifis), but the traffic mostly gets directed over other nodes
which the suffer because they don't have much bandwith.

So my question is: is there already a way to integrate Dijkstra in a
current beta or is this not yet implemeted?

regards,
Claus Strasburger