Can I pass 802.1q (VLAN tagged) through a VPN Tinc inHUB/Switch mode?.

Ramses II ramses.sevilla at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 10:22:13 CET 2010

Hi Guus and everybody,

The physical config:

VLAN1(U)--|   Switch                                  Switch   |-- VLAN1(U)
VLAN5(T)--|-- Trunk -- TincS-01 ---VPN--- TincS-02 -- Trunk  --|-- VLAN5(T)
VLAN10(T)-|   Port                                    Port     |-- VLAN10(T)

(U) = Untagged
(T) = Tagged

I don't say that Tinc can not work with 802.1q in switch mode, I say that I
don't know how to configure it in OpenWRT becouse the OpenWRT in the WRT54GL
work with sub-interfaces.

Because this, I have asked you if anybody have configured a similar
configuration in OpenWRT and WRG54GL.

The example that appear in the web work with two physical interfaces (eth0 -
External and eth1 - Internal).

I think that in this case, if I configure two vlans (VLAN5 - eth1.5 and
VLAN10 - eth1.10), as eth1 physical interface is into the bridge with the
tinc interface, all will work fine, isn't it?

But in my case, the External Interface is eth0.1, the VLAN5 is eth0.5 and
the VLAN10 is eth0.10, if I add to the bridge the eth0 physical interface, I
have the inbound interface and the outbound interface in the same bridge
and.... Do you know?

Does anyone have a silimar configuration with WRT54GL routers and OpenWRT
firmware?

Sorry by my bad inglish...

Best regards,

Ramses