Contradiction in documentation

Erik Logtenberg erik at logtenberg.eu
Mon Mar 8 17:21:06 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm reading the tinc documentation [1], chapter 4 Configuration. I
notice an apparent contradiction, and I wonder which part is correct.

[1] http://tinc-vpn.org/documentation/tinc_4.html

In part 4.3 "How connections work" this is stated:

"If it [tinc] sees one or more ‘ConnectTo’ values pointing to other tinc
daemons in that file, it will try to connect to those other daemons.
Whether this succeeds or not and whether ‘ConnectTo’ is specified or
not, tinc will listen for incoming connection from other deamons."

In other words: regardless of its configuration, tinc always opens a
listener which other hosts can connect to.

In part 4.7 "Example configuration" however, I read the following:

"Also, ConnectTo is given so that no-one can connect to this node." (as
a comment on the example configuration of Branch B)

In other words: tinc does not open a listener which other hosts can
connect to.

If I interpret these parts correctly, there is a contradiction. If so,
which one of these is correct? If on the other hand I'm simply
misinterpreting, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Erik Logtenberg.