Using tinc on planetlab

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 13:30:23 CEST 2010

> After talking to planet-lab people, they enabled on my nodes a tap
> device pre-configured.
>
> So we are running tinc specifing "Interface" in the config file.
>
> I will soon prepare a detailed documentation and I will post the link
> to the mailing list.

Hello,

we are still in trouble with this :(

We are trying to run tinc on a Linux host (part of Planet-Lab) with a
tap interface pre-configured by the administrator. This means we have
the tap interface up with IP address and all, and we do not have
rights as root to change the config of the interface.
The interface name is: tap1297-0

Here details of the interface:

tap1297-0 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:FF:F5:EA:EB:94
          inet addr:172.16.2.5  Bcast:172.16.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

we run tinc with the following config file:

Mode = switch
Name = planet
TunnelServer = yes
Port = 6550
Interface =  tap1297-0

Now if we run a couple of tinc nodes, they connect to each other and
they do not complain about anything, but they do *not* communicate.

We can see with tcpdump that the nodes do not write anything on the
tap interface. It is like of the tinc process do not write on the tap
interface.

Also we tried to change the config writing "Interface = tapANYTHING"
instead of the real name and we have the same behaviuor ! tinc does
not complain !!!
Also we running tinc with debug 5 but I can't see any relevant message
regarding the access to the tap interface.

Maybe our tinc.conf is wrong ?

Saverio