Configuration of hosts

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Jan 27 13:42:34 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:44:43PM -0800, Anon wrote:

> Anyway, I have tincd running as a service on two windows machines on the
> same lan.  I'm trying to establish a connection between those two
> computers on the vpn ip's (10.20.30.1 and 10.20.40.1).  I have confirmed
> that port 655 is open because each machine can ping the other on the LAN
> ip address (192.168.1.x) and "telnet 192.168.1.x 655" works on both
> machines (x=4 on one machine and 8 on the other) (it responds with "0
> MachineB 17" on MachineA and "0 MachineA 17" on MachineB.
>
> ipconfig /all confirms that each computer can see itself on the 10.20.x.1
> addresses.
>
> MachineA
>
> Address = 192.168.1.4
> Subnet = 10.20.30.0/24
>
> MachineB
>
> Address = 192.168.1.8
> Subnet = 10.20.40.0/24

The netmask of the VPN interface should be 255.255.0.0. Is this the case?  If
you have a fireall on the Windows machines, make sure it allows all traffic on
the VPN interface.  You can also start tinc with the options -d5 -D, this will
not start it as a service but run in the console. You can then see what happens
when you try tracert or anything else via the VPN.