FOSDEM 2010 lightning talk

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Jan 3 15:48:24 CET 2010

Hello,

At FOSDEM 2010 (http://fosdem.org/2010/), I will give a lightning talk titled
"tinc: the difficulties of a peer-to-peer VPN on the hostile Internet". The
talk will probably be on Saturday 7th of Februari at 15:20 CET, but this might
still change.

If you would like to meet at FOSDEM with me or other persons using or
developing tinc, just reply to this email.

The abstract of the talk is:

"Rather than configuring tunnels, a tinc VPN is more or less specified by its
endpoints. The tinc daemons will automatically set up tunnels in order to
create a full mesh network. The problem in today's Internet is that many users
are trapped behind NAT, and ISPs are known to drop ICMP packets, IP fragments,
and/or UDP packets, making reliable connections between peers difficult.
Another problem is how to manage authentication and authorization in a fully
decentralized, but user-friendly way. In this talk I will look at solutions
already implemented in tinc and other VPN software, and I look at future work
to solve the remaining problems."