Installing TAP-Device - Windows Vista

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Sep 16 18:49:01 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 03:44:19PM +0200, Markus Fischer wrote:

> the documentation says, that I have to run the addtap.bat as an
> Administrator to install the device for an 64Bit System. But the
> only Message that I get back from the script is "tapinstall.exe
> failed."

The TAP driver in the tinc 1.0.9 installer is too old. You should download the
latest OpenVPN installer from their site:

http://openvpn.net/release/openvpn-2.1_rc19-install.exe

When selecting components, only select "TAP Virtual Ethernet Adapter" (deselect
the rest), and continue with installing. The OpenVPN installer itself should
already install one TAP adapter. Tinc should then be able to use that.

Let us know if it works or not.