Tincd cannot flush and resets the connection

Hans de Groot hansg at dandy.nl
Sun Sep 6 12:20:57 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have a problem with tincd.

I havbe this setup:

master1 is my tincd that all other tincd (clienst) connect to.
  master1 is the only one that has port 655 open voor the clients.

I have 6 clients that connect from 6 differnt real ip numers. These work
fine.

Now I also have 4 clienst that conenct from my home which is behind nat
and when using netstat I see 4 connects from my ipat home to poort 655
on the master.

Here is the thing,

I can ping al 4 the clients  (on the internal tincd ip numbers) from the
master en vice versa. I can also ping all the other tincd ipnumers

This can go on for hours.

But when I set up a mysql connect (ie mysql -h client1 ....)
problems start.  This is very unstable. sometimes it connects and I am
in the msql client. Sometimes I can issue a use msql and it work or
sometimes it allready fails. and sometimes I can even get to the select
* from part and have the results (many times in a row or sometimes just
once and it gets stuck.

When I get stuck the pings also stop.
BUT when I ping the 4 clienst from the master sometimes all stop pinging
or sometimes one or 2. stop pinging and the others keep working. The
client I tried to conenct always stops pinging.

In debug mode tincd tells me it could ot flush data from the master in
xx seconds and restarts/reset the connection and ping works again.

It seems I can make any connection from the client to the master but not
from the master to the client.
I seems like the master gets confused (sometimes) where to send the data
(or where to set up a new tcp session) My clients are behind a masq
firewall and are unreachable from the outside.
Ping always works but this is icmp.

Is my setup impossible or am I missing something.

here is my config:

master: tinc.conf
AddressFamily = ipv4
Device =/dev/net/tun
GraphDumpFile =/usr/local/tinc/tinc
Hostnames = No
Mode = Router
KeyExpire = 3600
PingInterval = 20
PingTimeout = 10
PrivateKeyFile = /usr/local/etc/tinc/bdb_net/rsa_key.priv
Name = master001
TCPOnly = yes
IndirectData = yes

hostfiles op master

master001
Address = *.*.*.* (a public ip number)
Cipher = blowfish
Compression = 0
Digest = sha1
IndirectData = Yes
Port = 655
Subnet = 5.10.10.0/24
TCPonly = Yes

-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
*******
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

client001
Cipher = blowfish
Compression =0
Digest = sha1
IndirectData = no
Port = 655
# hier de echte subnet mask waarden gebruiken
Subnet = 5.10.22.0/24
TCPonly = Yes

-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
***
--END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

tincd.conf op de client001

AddressFamily = ipv4
Name = client001
ConnectTo = master001
Device =/dev/net/tun
Hostnames = No
Mode = Router
KeyExpire = 3600
PingInterval = 60
PingTimeout = 20
IndirectData = No
TCPOnly = yes
PrivateKeyFile = /usr/local/etc/tinc/bdb_net/rsa_key.priv

master001 hostfile op client 001
Address = *.*.*.* (the public ip of the master)
Cipher = blowfish
Compression = 0
Digest = sha1
IndirectData = Yes
Port = 655
Subnet = 5.10.10.0/24
TCPonly = Yes

-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
****
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

client001 op client001
Cipher = blowfish
Compression = 0
Digest = sha1
IndirectData = No
Port = 655
Subnet = 5.10.22.0/24
TCPonly = Yes

-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
*****
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

The other clients are the same of course the name and the subnet are
different.

Can anyone help me out please?

Thanks

Hans de Groot