Multiple VPN connections and routing problem

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Oct 27 18:05:56 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 05:27:22PM +0100, Natanael Yngvesson wrote:

> Okay, so tincd on MASTER can handle more than one connection to the same
> server.
> I though that you must have a seperate VPN tunnel for each new 2 computers
> that you connect.
> VPN = tunnel between 2 computers I thought.
> So that means i could connect all 3 computers to the same "vpn"/"btun" VPN
> tunnel?

Yes. The idea behind tinc is that you do not set up tunnels, but rather specify
some endpoints and let tinc figure out how to get packets from one node to the
other.

> here is the requested output from my iptables.
[...]

Hm. All your VPN traffic is handled by RULE_12 it seems. However, on BACKUP, in
the INPUT chain, only packets with source addresses in the 192.168.3.0/24
subnet are allowed. If MASTER tries to ping BACKUP, it will send packets with
192.168.0.1 as the source address, so they are blocked by BACKUP's firewall (in
RULE_13). If BACKUP connects MASTER, then reply packets are allowed by the
state RELATED,ESTABLISHED rule of course.