Routing through vpn

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Oct 11 13:25:25 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 01:13:23PM +0200, Loïc Grenié wrote:

>      I've an up and running tinc vpn between my laptop and my office computer
>   (on which I've root access if needs be). From where I'm sitting right now, UDP
>   packets are dropped. TcpOnly has solved the problem for the tinc part and
>   I can still connect to my office. I'd like to access some important
>   <cough>irc</cough> UDP-only services. Do I have a possibility to route
>   those UDP packets through tinc ?

TCPOnly does not affect packets inside the VPN, it only affects how tinc
tunnels those packets. So you don't need to do anything extra to route UDP
packets through tinc, that will always work.

IRC itself runs over TCP by the way.

> I've tried to add SubNet = <destination host>
>   in the /etc/tinc/vpn/hosts/office-computer file
>   and run a
> route add -host <destination host> dev vpn
>   on the laptop, but it does not seem to work.

This looks correct, at least tinc will route packets for <destination host>
correctly. But can packets from <destination host> be routed back to your
laptop? If you want to use the office computer to bypass firewalls in front of
your laptop, and to be able to connect to some Internet host unrestricted, you
probably need to set up masquerading on the office computer.