1 Server, Multiple Client Setup

Andrew Barlow andrew.barlow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:12:45 CET 2009

OK... I've tried what you said, but I keep getting a "Error on ADD_SUBNET"
on the client machine.

Here are my configuration files and setup:

*Server Setup:*

*tinc.conf*

AddressFamily = ipv4
Device = /dev/net/tun
Mode = switch
Name = masterserver
PrivateKeyFile = /etc/tinc/vpn/rsa_key.priv
BindToInterface = eth1
TunnelServer = yes

*tinc-up*

ifconfig $INTERFACE 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.0.0.0

*hosts/masterserver* (The address is my external IP address)

Compression = 0
Subnet = 10.1.0.0/16
Address = 87.*.*.*
Port = 655
TCPonly = yes
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
***
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

*hosts/client1*

Compression = 0
Subnet = 10.2.0.0/16
Port = 655
TCPonly = yes
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
***
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

*ifconfig ouput*

vpn       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr a6:7e:2b:ad:80:ea
          inet addr:10.1.1.1  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::a47e:2bff:fead:80ea/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:238 (238.0 B)

*Client1 Settings*

*tinc.conf*

AddressFamily = ipv4
Device = /dev/net/tun
Name = client1
PrivateKeyFile = /etc/tinc/vpn/rsa_key.priv
BindToInterface = eth1
TunnelServer = yes

*tinc-up*

ifconfig $INTERFACE 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.0.0.0

*hosts/masterserver* (The address is my external IP address)

Compression = 0
Subnet = 10.1.0.0/16
Address = 87.*.*.*
Port = 655
TCPonly = yes
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
***
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

*hosts/client1* (The address is my external IP address)

Compression = 0
Subnet = 10.2.0.0/16
Port = 655
TCPonly = yes
ConnectTo = masterserver
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
***
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

Sadly, I can't get to the ifconfig output on the client right now, but I
don't know if you need that or not. I don't see whats wrong here. I thought
maybe you could shine some light on it?

Cheers,

Andy Barlow