ping between nated hosts

Christian Lyra lyra at pop-pr.rnp.br
Tue Feb 17 16:30:56 CET 2009

hi,

>  You are right that using TCPOnly is less than optimal. However, up
> to and including 1.0.9, tinc's own pings are always sent via TCP. In
> 1.0.10 there may be code to check for and maintain UDP connectivity
> more actively.

You are right about the stateful stuff. I just ran a couple of
pings/connections and inspected the connection tracking tables. I was
not aware that udp "connections" tracking expire very quickly (well...
it makes sense!). This lead me to believe that the problem was arp/mac
related, but it´s not.

I´m also surprised to learn that the tinc ping/meta data stuff was done
by tcp. This explains why I saw a established tcp connection from nated
host to public server, and a unreplied udp connection from public
server to nated host. I was expecting that everything should be done
with either tcp or udp and not both. Changing the control to a protocol
only is possible?

--
Christian Lyra
POP-PR - RNP

http://lyra.soueu.com.br

If I am using the hero's girlfriend as a hostage and am holding her at
the point of imminent death when confronting the hero, I will focus on
her and not him. He won't try anything with his true love held hostage.
On the other hand, the fact that she has been weak, slow-witted, naive
and generally useless up to this point has no bearing on her actions at
the moment of dramatic climax.
			The Top Things I'd Do
			If I Ever Became an Evil Overlord