ping between nated hosts

Christian Lyra lyra at pop-pr.rnp.br
Tue Feb 17 04:23:20 CET 2009

Hi there,

I´m trying to use tinc to solve this scenario:

Host A has public/know ip address
Hosts B and C are behind nat

I´m using switch mode, and hosts B and C has IndirectMode enabled.
Host A is in listen only mode (no ConnectTo set), hosts B and C
connects to A.  Everything works almost as expected... B and C
connects to A, and they can ping each other, but ONLY after each other
learns the other MAC thru A. What I mean is: if I start A, B, C, and
try to ping C from B, ping will fail, but if I send a ping to A from
C, then B will be able to ping C as it will learn the MAC of C thru A.
If there´s no traffic between the hosts for a while, then the arp
entries will expire from arp tables and the problem will happen again.

Is there a way to solve this with a tinc configuration? leaving a cron
job to make nated hosts ping A is not a elegant option :-(

--
Christian Lyra
PoP-PR/RNP