single host with two different ports

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Dec 23 20:10:13 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 04:54:59PM +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> > How does one specify two different ports in the same host file?  When
> > lapops are hardwired versus when mobile on a totally different lan.
> >
> > address0 71.17.72.27
> > address1 192.168.2.27
> > port0 22755
> > port1 655
>
> That's unfortunately not supported by tinc (yet).

But now it is! The latest revision from git allows you to put this in a host
config file:

Address = 71.17.72.27 22755
Address = 192.168.2.27 655

Symbolic names will also work of course, "Address = example.org https" will
connect to 192.0.32.10 port 443.

As for support for SRV records: unfortunately there is no easy way to do it,
this will probably require an external library (libruli seems a candidate), but
this may bring in its own dependencies and porting issues.

There also seem to be problems with DNS servers that drop requests for SRV
records, which causes queries to take a long time to time out.  So one wouldn't
want to enable this by default, unless we do asynchronous DNS lookups, which
requires substantial changes to tinc.

So, I'll not add SRV support in tinc 1.0.x. Support for KEY records will
probably share the same problems as for SRV records. Of course, if someone else
wants to work on it I'll be happy to merge workable patches.