single host with two different ports

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Dec 23 17:08:54 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 09:26:12AM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:

> > That's unfortunately not supported by tinc (yet). You can have multiple
> > Addresses, but only one Port statement in host config files.
>
> Dynamic ports handled by dynamic dns SRV and TXT records would make
> this so much easier.
>
> tinc client connects to ddns based server.  ddns updates SRV and TXT
> records with firewall outgoing dynamic port number.

Ok, I'll have a look how hard it is to query SRV records. Otherwise, I'll
probably just make it so you can also specify a port number in an Address
statement.

> The only host file needed would be the users own tinc dns server as
> long as tinc added the capability to look up hosts, port numbers, and
> keys in dns.

Tinc can already look up hostnames. But keys in DNS is not so easy. Sure you
can put a public key in a TXT or other type of record, but then you have to
trust DNS to be secure. You would need some kind of authentication for that,
but that's planned for tinc 2.0.