Response time on Tinc VPNs, Bandwith on Tinc-VPN

Donald Pearson donaldwhpearson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:46:22 CET 2009

The "10 megabit" connection that you see is not accurate.  The TAP-Win32
adapter will run at hardware and network speed.  I believe the reported link
speed is just residue from the days when virtual adapters didn't exist.
Personally, I've never created a VPN over fast ethernet, but on two
endpoints with 20 megabit internet connections, I have seen 17.5 megabits of
VPN traffic.  Well above the reported 10 megabit link.

Also, "TCPOnly = yes" is a Host configuration
variable<http://www.tinc-vpn.org/documentation/tinc_4.html#Host-configuration-variables>.
You have it placed as a main configuration
variable<http://www.tinc-vpn.org/documentation/tinc_4.html#Main-configuration-variables>
where
I don't believe it is doing anything.

You have "mode = switch" in your main configuration file.  I therefore think
the "Subnet=" variables in your host configuration files may be irrelevant.