Response time on Tinc VPNs, Bandwith on Tinc-VPN

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 00:34:26 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Johann Stieger <johann1975 at gmx.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> response time: how is it possible to increase the response time on Tinc VPNs. When I use tinc over a fast or giga-bit network connection the ping-response time is normally about 1800 to 2000 ms. Sometimes I get ping response times at about 2.500 to 3.000 ms over a normal Ethernet Connection or a television-cable connection within the same providers-network in the same city. The ping-time on the underlaying network connection is about 10 to 30 ms. So when I use Windows Remote Desktop it is terrible when I have to wait 2 or 3 seconds to wait for a response of the chance of the desktop.
>
> Bandwith: when I use tinc on a fast- or gigabit connection on the same Ethernet network (I have the same problem on a television-cable connection within the same providers-network in the same city) the speed is very slow. The new TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 tells me that there is a network speed of 10 Mbit/s but when I transfer data between two hosts the network is only used by up to 1,5 to 2,5 percent. So the speed is only 150 to 250 kbit/s which is very slow.
>
> I use 3 Windows XP and one Windows Vista Notebooks as client and a Windows Small Business Server 2008 as server. On the client-side the config-file looks like this:
> Interface=Tinc-VPN
> AddressFamily=ipv4
> Mode=switch
> Name=TincKnoten_PM1860NB
> PrivateKeyFile=C:/Programme/tinc/ESV/rsa_key.priv
> ConnectTo=TincKnoten_remote
> TCPOnly=yes
>
> The "tinc-up.bat"-file looks like this:
> netsh interface ip set address %INTERFACE% static 192.168.19.1 255.255.255.0
>
> The file "TincKnoten_remote" on the client looks like this (without public key):
> Address=Server's DNS-Name
> Port=655
> Subnet=192.168.19.8/32
>
> Here is the content of the server's tinc.conf:
> Interface=Tinc-VPN
> AddressFamily=ipv4
> Mode=switch
> Name=TincKnoten_remote
> PrivateKeyFile=C:/Program Files (x86)/tinc/ESV/rsa_key.priv TCPOnly=yes
>
> The server's "tinc-up.bat"-file looks like this:
> netsh interface ip set address Tinc-VPN static 192.168.19.8 255.255.255.0
>
> The file "TincKnoten_PM1860NB" on the server looks like this (without public key):
> Address=Some (not existent) DNS-Name
> Port=655
> Subnet=192.168.19.1/32
> IndirectData=yes
>

> I hope, somebody can help me to increase the response time and to increase the bandwith.
>
> Thank's very much,
>
> Johann Stieger

My tinc response times are pretty much near wire speeds.  i have been
using rdp for years but don't replicate your situation yet as i am
trying to cross compile tinc on a Fedora OS for windows/mingw .  So i
am not running tinc on windows.  Tinc connects over a 3g connection
from a tethered cellphone.

 rdesktop <--> xrdp <--> MSWin2003

 tinc is underneath the two nodes on the left.
 i am doing double rdp and it is ok.
 r u on a 64bit Win2008?
 i compiled the latest tinc from source.