tinc on macosx

mike at goodlook.com.au mike at goodlook.com.au
Sat Dec 12 23:23:24 CET 2009

Hi,

So I bought a new macbook 2 days ago. I already feel like I'm going to
break it somehow.
I am kind of surprised that there is no kind of package management system
like dpkg being used. Anyway..

Looking at the macosx tinc wiki page on tinc-vpn.org, and it seems to be
somewhat incomplete.

I have a few questions. I installed the tuntaposx driver and set up the
machine to connect to the network. Connected, and all good.
I am running tinc in switch mode, and have a dhcp server giving out
addresses.

When tinc connects, it does not receive a dhcp address. In my tinc-up file,
and running the command manually:
$ sudo ipconfig tun0 set dhcp

i get:

ipconfig_set tun0 DHCP failed: invalid operation

Do you have any idea why it is doing that?
I can assign an address manually, but would prefer dhcp.

The other question I had was, how do you make it run at startup?
I see in the login preferences you can run commands/applications, but
that's for the user, not root.

If you're running Macosx, how have you set your machine up with tinc? Do
you run the command with the configuration parameter every time like in the
wiki?

Thanks,

Mike