Windows client not honorring the Port directive?

Hans Voss hans.voss at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:21:33 CET 2008

Hi all,

I have trouble making a tinc daemon on a Windows XP machine behave properly.
In order to let the connection go through the (NAT) firewall I need to
be able to pinpoint the exact portnumber used, so I can make the
proper rewriting rules.

However when I don't specify any Port number the firewall receives
connection attempt for the other tinc machine on the internet from a
"random" high port number (1025 and up, increasing with each attempt).

If I *do* specify a Port directive in the Host configuration then the
daemon is still using the "random" high portnumbers.

And of course, because the other tinc daemon (on the internet) is
expecting either port 655 or the one I have specified in the
configuration, the connection is dropped.

Does any one have any clues as to what could be wrong here? (This
being Windows, I have already rebooted, several times ;-) )

My following step would be a reinstall of the Windows machine and try
again (not impossible, but a pretty useless solution when talking
about 100+ Windows PC's).

--
----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards