A question about hosts files

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Nov 27 13:31:33 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 12:30:06PM +0100, EleGoS wrote:

> >>I'm super-happy because I've just finished my semi-auto configurator for
> >>Windows machines ^^
> >
> >Great!
>
> I'll do a language-indipendent exe if you wish ^^

Sure, there may be people who like to use it as well.

> Another question: If I do a star-like VPN (one server Connects To all
> the others that want to be inside the net -> A server under a NAT won't
> grave it's bandwidth on one bridge-machine to send data to a third PC),
> must the main-server restart the service once the tinc.conf is changed
> and the hosts/*** created?

If you change tinc.conf, and you run it on Windows, you have to restart
tinc. On other operating systems, you can make tinc reload tinc.conf by
sending it a HUP signal. If you only create new hosts/ files, you don't
need to restart tinc or send signals.

> Or can I just insert a lot of ConnectTo in the tinc.conf and then create
> a lot of hosts/*** that will be changed by the real files, and connect
> to them without restarting the service?

That is also a possibility.

> Eventually, if the service must be resetted: what's the WinCMD command
> to restart a service? Just 'sc restart service'?

I think so.