Best Wireless configuration

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:53:36 CET 2005

it is my understanding, based on a discussion at AsterCon last fall
with the fellow
who ported Asterisk to coLinux, that XP will not allow one to route
through a wireless
interface.  Just can't do it.

Option 2 looks the most appealing.  any linux distribution
can be your tunneling firewall, and any computer built in the last ten years has
enough CPU speed that you won't notice the increased lag.

I will be glad to see a correction to my first paragraph, as I too would like to
do secure roaming with my XP-havin' laptop.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:57:50 -0800, docfxit at hotmail.com
<docfxit at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to setup a network to run VPN
> over wireless.
>
> I currently have:
> Wireless Laptop ----> Router with VPN pass through ---> DSL modem.
> There is also a wired desktop running Win '98se connected to the router.
> The Wireless Laptop is running XP Pro sp1.
>
> I am open for suggestions on how to run VPN over the wireless.  I just want to
> protect the wireless part of the network.  I am not connecting to any one
> particular location on the internet.
>
> Possible solution #1
> Is it possible to have one VPN end point in the Wireless Laptop and the other
> on the Win '98se PC going through the router and then go back out the 98 PC
> back through the router to the internet?
>
> Possible solution #2
> Is there a cheap end point box that I could put between the router and the DSL
> modem?
>
> Possible solution #3
> Is there a free end point on the internet I could connect to that would then
> pass me to the internet?  (I have found VPN end points on the internet that
> cost between $8.88 and 10.00/mo)
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gary Kuznitz

David L Nicol
Are you wearing your chicken hat or your egg hat?