why does the server needs to have the client's host file

Hansong Huang net at pine.maillshell.com
Sun Aug 28 01:12:13 CEST 2005

First I have the say TINC is great. it is the only one that I found fits my needs. I use it to create a virtual network for parallel computing using computers around labs and campus.

i have a question though. suppose we work as a server A and client B setting. it is necessary for the client B to have the host file of the server A so that B knows where to find A. but why would A need to have the host file of B?

compare to a common setting in conventional VPN. the VPN server does not need to know anything about a VPN client and just waits for the connection. therefore, no configuration is needed to add an extra client.

when the client B initiates the connection to server A, woulnd't it possible that B announce all its configuration etc to A so that A does not need to have any information about B a priori?

thanks

Hansong