compress performance for adsl

Raul Dias raul at dias.com.br
Thu Oct 21 16:56:59 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am trying to find out which compression options are the best for a
VPN network of 256kb ADSLs.

The only benchmark I found out is this
http://brouwer.uvt.nl/pipermail/tinc-devel/2003-May/000107.html

By this numbers I would suggest that the "Compression" option should
always be set to 10.

That was set for a 2.3Mbps direct connection which was good enough to
prove that "Compression = 10" will always be better than "Compression =
0".

However I am looking for more real world numbers.  Has anyone tested
compression over ADSL lines?

I know most people use tinc over dsl and cable.

So, what compression do you use (if any)?  What compression you have
tried?  If you did not kept using it, why is that? latency? Throughput?
CPU usage?

What options do you recommend for an 256 aDLS connection? for high
throughput, for low latency or a good mix of both.

Regards,

Raul Dias