internal & external networks

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at neenet.com
Wed Oct 20 14:51:57 CEST 2004

First of all let me say thanks for answering all of my emails to the
mailing list with the many questions that I have had. Your answers have
been a great help.

Just a few more questions, ok.

I have been reading over the documentation and need to find out how Tinc
behaves regarding the VPN and hosts as I will have to distinct
situtations to address in our system.

1. Which is a web server for example that will service both the VPN
connections and also standard Internet connections.
2. Servers that will only service VPN connections.

What I mean is this. In a few other solutions that I have been
investigating, you can handle #2 above because the vpn software will
allow you to route ALL packets on all ports on a host through the VPN.
This way, that machine is not even seen by the rest of the world while
it is connected to the VPN.

On the other hand, you can also set up a host to handle #1 above by not
forcing all ports and packets from a host into the vpn by changing the
configuration a little on this type of host.

I need to be able to handle both situtations above.  The first is mainly
for something like a web, ftp, email server and the second is for our
road warriors who will be connecting to the first one as well as to
other machines that are completely in the vpn as in the second item above.

This has been the challenge of locating a good vpn solution but I think
that Tinc seems to be able to handle this.

Thanks again,
Lonnie