capabilities of Tinc?

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Tue Oct 19 15:36:31 CEST 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 07:12:02AM -0500, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I am very new to Tinc and after much searching on the web for a possible
> solution for my project, I came across Tinc which look, at least
> initially, like it my do the job.
>
> Here is a brief challenge to my project.
>
> 1.  To allow nodes to listen for connections as well as be able to make
> connections to other nodes as well. (Looks like Tinc does this)

Yes.

> 2. To easily allow the adding/removal from a dynamic network.

Yes, tinc will do that as well.

> 3. To Scale well over each node.

That too.

> 4. I will have, for example, 40 users. I will need to establish "groups"
> such that various users (Roadwarriors) will be able to connect to a node
> and talk with other users in that group who are online at that time
> while not being seen by users outside the group.

Tinc has no notion of groups inside VPNs. You either create one VPN, and
everyone connected to that VPN can see every other, or you create
multiple VPNs (by starting multiple tinc daemons) and people can only
see people in the same VPN.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>