Non TCP/IP traffic

Marijn P. Vriens mpv at tecnocimiento.cl
Wed Oct 13 05:52:09 CEST 2004

Jason (jason+tinclist at truedesign.com) escribió:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Marijn P. Vriens wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to setup a VPN where home users can comunicate with a Novell network
> > which functions with IPX/SPX. Is there someway i can route this traffic over
> > Tinc? I know tinc has a "switch" and "hub" mode, but does it also route non IP
> > traffic? This would be the setup:
> >
> > [NovellServer] <-_EtherNet_-> [Firewall] <-_Tinc_-> [Homeuser]
> >
> > Can i make tinc route this IPX/SPX traffic and how do i make the firewall
> > route this traffic from one interface to the virtual tinc interface.
> >
> > Is this at all possible?
>
> While I haven't actually done it, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
> Just use switch mode and do the IPX routing just like you would if the tinc
> interfaces were real physical ethernet cards (assign the tinc switch network an IPX
> net number, setup an internal IPX network, and setup IPX routing).

Would it also work from the client point of view? it's very likely that some
of the VPN endpoints are going to be windows XP/2000 machines. To the windows
implementation of Tinc, it's also "just an other interface"?.

I was thinking more in the lines of using a ethernet bridge to bridge the
internal<->vpn network. what would be the benefits of setting up a IPX router?

Regards,
     Marijn.

--
Director Tecnológico Tecnocimiento.