Connected, but what now?

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Tue Aug 24 18:05:51 CEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:06:21PM +0100, Paul Littlefield wrote:

> Gavin and I appear to have successfully connected our Linux and Windows machines via Tinc, but cannot seem to do anything else.
>
> We cannot ping each other's vpn network.
>
> Gavin would like to be able to:
> * browse my local SMB (Windows and Samba) network
> * collect his email via my local mail server
>
> Are asking too much of a VPN here? Have we missed something?

If tinc is configured properly, pinging and sending mail should not be a
problem. For browsing with SMB have to run a WINS server.

> All details, Linux output and Windows screenshots are here:
>
> http://www.littlefield.info/tinc

Use -d5 to see even more debug output from tinc. Also check your routing
table and firewall rules. If you still have probles, send us everything
mentioned in http://www.tinc-vpn.org/documentation/tinc_5.html#SEC62.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>