What is wrong? "Creating metasocket failed"

I.R. van Dongen vdongen at hetisw.nl
Sun Sep 7 16:50:08 CEST 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 05:51:57PM -0700, Brian Costello wrote:
> tinc server / port 655 redirect to my firewall's localhost port 656.  I
> then setup a UDP forwarder on my firewall that listened on localhost
> port 656 and forwarded packets received on localhost to the tinc server
> port 655 FROM port 655.  It's not an ideal solution by any means since
> all my udp packets are routed through userland, but I haven't had any
> problems with it as of yet, and the performance of the VPN seems
> improved over the TCPonly configuration.
I used tcp-repeaters to work around this problem back in the very ealy
versions of tinc, I had the problem of a wingate proxy at that time.
tcp repeaters can work great, but it can get very confusing when
debugging.
I'm very glad this problem is solved now by replacing all gateways by
linuxboxes about 2 yrs ago.

Gr,

Ivo van Dongen
Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/