What is wrong? "Creating metasocket failed"

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Sat Sep 6 17:58:06 CEST 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 01:57:35PM +0200, Bert Jan Bakker wrote:

> A few questions:
> - does the failure to create a metasocket mean tinc won't work? The
>   last message, "Ready", seems to indicate there's no problem

There is no problem. The socket that failed was an IPv6 socket. The IPv4
socket was created without problems, otherwise it wouldn't say "Ready".
If you want to get rid of this warning, add "AddressFamily = ipv4" to
tinc.conf.

> - I'm a bit confused about working with devfs. I noticed that loading
>   the tun module causes the /dev/net/tun to be created. I assume devfsd
>   does this for me. Is that right?

I think so.

> - Is it necessary to let tinc load the tun module or does it depend it
>   the tun module to be already loaded?

It depends on the module to be loaded or the kernel to autoload it when
tinc tries to open /dev/net/tun.

> - If tinc can take care of loading the tun module, how do I set this
> up?   Is the "alias char-major-10-200 tun" entry in the
> /etc/modules.conf enough?

Tinc doesn't load it, your kernel should do it or another boot script.

> - I'm trying to create a connection from home to the office.
>   Unfortunately my home cable router maps the 655 port to an
>   unpriviledged port when it does outgoing NAT. So I cannot initiate the
>   connection from home. My idea as a workaround is to log in to
>   the office firewall running tinc by ssh and do a ping to my home
>   host. The home cable router is configured to redirect the incoming
>   traffic on the tinc port to my home workstation. Will this work?

Sounds complicated. I don't know, it depends on how your cable router
works. You can also try adding "TCPOnly = yes" to tinc.conf, that way
only a TCP connection is made, which probably won't be mangled as badly
as UDP by your router.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>