automesh not working

Jeff Pyle kg8iu at qsl.net
Thu Nov 27 18:12:30 CET 2003

 From the tinc page:
  "*Automatic full mesh routing-* Regardless of how you set up the tinc
daemons to connect to each other, VPN traffic is always (if possible)
sent directly to the destination, without going through intermediate hops."

That's exactly what's not working for me.  Let me illustrate:

Both nodes B and C have ConnectTo statements to connect to node A.  Node
A only listens.  A-C and A-B traffic are normal.  But, I see activity on
Node A's outside interface (eth0) on port 655 during B-C traffic.  The
ping times reflect an intermediate hop as well.

I've played with the IndirectData option, but it doesn't seem to have
any affect.  Perhaps I haven't played enough.  I've solved the issue by
configuring all 6 nodes in the real network to have ConnectTo statements
to the other 5.  If I read the automesh statement correctly, it
shouldn't have to be that way, no?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/