newbie problems

Jeff Pyle kg8iu at qsl.net
Wed Nov 26 19:06:22 CET 2003

Hello all--

I am trying to get a tunnel up between a RedHat 9 (hare) machine and a
Suse 9 machine (turtle).  tinc-1.0.2 compiled fine on each (although I
have tried this with the precompiled binary just in case).  No matter
what I seem to do, I can't get any output whatsoever.  No log output
with -d5 -D, no /var/log/messages output, nothing at all.  tincd just
returns with a 1 errorlevel.  I took every example file I could find and
changed only the names and addresses ... same result.  The same thing
happens whether I try it on the Redhat or Suse machine.  It doesn't seem
to matter whether or not I have the tun module loaded.  Doesn't seem to
matter whether I have tinc-up/down created.  It does complain if it
can't find the appropriate tinc.conf file, but that's the only change in
behavior I can create.

I currently have a fully-meshed 6-node network running with CIPE manged
by some hasty shell scripts, but this looks like a far better option!

Config files from hare (listen-only):

# cat /usr/local/etc/tinc/ugnd/tinc.conf
Name = hare
Device = /dev/net/tun
PrivateKeyFile = /usr/local/etc/tinc/ugnd/rsa_key.priv

# cat /usr/local/etc/tinc/ugnd/hosts/hare
Address = hare's.public.hostname
IndirectData = yes
Subnet = 192.168.1.0/26
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

# cat /usr/local/etc/tinc/ugnd/tinc-up
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $INTERFACE hw ether fe:fd:0:0:0:0
ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.224.0
ifconfig $INTERFACE -arp

# cat /usr/local/etc/tinc/ugnd/tinc-down
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $INTERFACE down

And now, I try to run it:

# tincd -n ugnd -d5 -D
        (no output, no /var/log/message entries)
# echo $?
1

That seems to be all I can muster.  I spent many frustrating hours with
this last night, knowing I must be overlooking some simple detail to
have it fail the same way, all the time, on two seperate platforms.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/