wireless vpn + nat

Alin-Adrian Anton aanton at reversedhell.net
Sun Nov 23 21:36:11 CET 2003

    Hey guys,

    I installed tinc on a linux server which connects to the internet.
That server is linked via a wireless link with a Windows 2000
workstation. I installed tinc on the windows box too, and the vpn works
neat. The only problem is I don't know if the windows tap driver is able
to forward unknown IPs to a gateway. This is because if I try to ping
10.0.0.1 which is just another ethernet card in the router, I get a
"destination unreachable" error, because the tinc VPN subnet looks like
10.0.2.0/24, where 10.0.2.1 is the router end, and 10.0.2.2 is the win2k
box. I can ping 10.0.2.1 from the win box.

    The wireless link looks like this: 10.0.1.1 is the linux router,
10.0.1.2 is the win2k box.

    In spite of the fact that the router works correctly, it even seems
that if I try to ping someone on internet from the windows box, I get
destination unreachable without the packets even getting tunneled
through the VPN by tinc, using the wireless link for transport. I tried
it with a sniffer, and indeed, packets dont even travel through the VPN
when I try to ping some internet IP. I conclusioned this is a limitation
of the windows tap driver.

    If anyone knows better and can help me setup internet connection via
strong wireless vpn for this windows box, I will deeply appreciate it.

    Best Regards,
Alin-Adrian Anton.

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/