ifconfig hw ether and -arp

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Fri Aug 22 16:49:38 CEST 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 03:35:41PM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:

> Just thought I'd mention that I spent a while battling with tinc today.
> I had quite a weird behaviour - in routing mode, tinc would come up fine
> on both hosts, but pinging hosta from hostb wouldn't work until hosta
> pinged hostb.

It could be because of a firewall.

> I've used an earlier version of tinc before in a different environment
> with no problems, and vaguely remembered a more complicated tinc-up
> script, so I dug about in the archives.
>
> My tinc-up now looks like:
> ifconfig "$INTERFACE" hw ether fe:fd:0:0:0:0 -arp
> ifconfig "$INTERFACE" 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
>
> The first ifconfig line isn't mentioned in the current documentation,
> perhaps it should be updated?

With tinc 1.0 and later, you don't need that first ifconfig line
anymore. For the reason why you should've used it with older versions,
see http://mail.nl.linux.org/tinc/2003-06/msg00027.html.

If it really doesn't work without that first ifconfig line, please tell
me which version of tinc you are running and on which operating system.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>