Getting at a machine behind a ISDN router

Ivo Timmermans ivo at o2w.nl
Wed Oct 9 09:18:48 CEST 2002

Carlos Sousa wrote:
> I installed and configured tinc on both machines, but I cannot ping from
> any side. When I try to connect from "client" to "server", the tinc logs
> at "server" show:
>
>    Received UDP packet from unknown source 194.210.6.254 port 756
>
> This address seems to be the dynamic IP of the ISDN router. It seems that
> the firewall / masquerading on the router is confusing tinc. Is that right?

Correct.

> Is there anything I can do on either machine to get the vpn going,
> without having to change anything on the router or on the school's ISP
> side?

Yes.  If you have access to the firewall's iptables rules, you can
tell it to use port 655 for outgoing masqueraded tinc traffic.

If you don't have access, the TCPOnly option is for you.

For more information and setup guidelines, see

	http://tinc.nl.linux.org/examples/masquerading-firewall

> And another question: the "client" machine host file cannot have an
> Address= option, since it has no public IP assigned. Is this OK with tinc?

Yes.  Address is only required for hosts that people connect to.

	Ivo

--
Software isn't released, it's allowed to escape.
Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/