SV: Problem withs hosts/ -files & Ethertap with 2.4.x

Lars Fredriksson lars at fredriksson.net
Tue Jan 29 20:09:25 CET 2002

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:41:12PM +0100, Lars Fredriksson wrote:
>
> > The problem is that when I try to sepcify an IP-adress in
> > /etc/tinc/netname/hosts/hostfile using Adress = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> syslog says;
> > Invalid variable name on line 2 while reading config file
> > /etc/tinc/boppen/hosts/melc
>
> Address is spelled with 2 d's :).
>  ^^

Hehe ... I don't know if I can blame that on that I'm Swedish ;-) But it
helped, the tunnel is up and running now! Thanks!

> > A other small question I have is; is it possible to use the
> "old" Ethertap
> > instead of the universal TUN/TAP by just compile it into the kernel and
> > create the /dev-files? I can't recompile tincd and I get the "File
> > descriptor in bad state"-error when trying to use the universal TUN/TAP.
>
> Yes that's possible. However, I'm curious, why can you compile a kernel
> but not tinc?

The error I got is (I'm no expert so it might be a very simple fault):

--<SNIP>--
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/tinc-1.0pre4/po'
file=./`echo es | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
  && rm -f $file &&  --statistics -o $file es.po
/bin/sh: --statistics: command not found
make[2]: *** [es.gmo] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/tinc-1.0pre4/po'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/tinc-1.0pre4'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
--<SNAP>--

It's running debian with kernel 2.4.16.

Best regards, Lars Fredriksson