tinc from behind a NAT

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Thu May 24 22:30:50 CEST 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 03:05:04PM -0500, Jason Ostermann wrote:

> I beleive the problem is in the replies.
> The configured port (8080) is NOT accessible going towards this end. ie,
> the NAT remaps UDP ports. So, the connection goes something like this:
>
> local            nat                    remote
> a:8080  --->> b:8080=>c:32896 ------>>  d:8080
>
> (hopefully that made some sense, tracking the UDP connection here).
> Does tinc expect to be able to reach the local machine via UDP port
> 8080? I saw a mention about TCPonly being removed from pre3. Is there an
> expected date for when it will be active again?

Yes tinc expects UDP packets to be coming from/going to port 8080.  TCPonly is
back in the CVS version. Go to the website to get the instructions how to
download the source from CVS. I haven't tested the latest revision yet, so it
might not work after all. TCPonly will be back in pre4, but I don't know when
it will be released. You can also use pre2 of course (but it has a security
hole unfortunately).

> On another note, using something like "-ddd" or "-d3" or "-d -d -d" does
> not cause tinc to log packets. How do I turn on uber-logging?

"-dddddddddd" :)

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>