tap1 problem

Gillian gillianh at paper-graphics.com
Tue May 8 12:57:13 CEST 2001

Hi Tinc Mailing-Group,

Having set up the kernel correctly, and got tinc running successfully,
I am now trying to get two VPNs running at once. Hence I need to
have two ethertap devices ( /dev/tap0 and /dev/tap1 ).

The first tap0 device was created thus:

mknod -m 600 /dev/tap0 c 36 16
chown 0.0 /dev/tap0

The second tap1 device was created too:

mknod -m 600 /dev/tap1 c 36 17
chown 0.0 /dev/tap1

I am running a Linux 2.2.18 kernel, and the following lines have been
added to the  /etc/modules.conf  file:

alias tap0 ethertap
alias tap1 ethertap
alias char-major-36 netlink_dev

Now, when I run the following command:

   /sbin/ifconfig tap0 hw ether fe:fd:00:00:00:00

It works without a problem.

However, when I try to get the other tap1 device working, and type:

   /sbin/ifconfig tap1 hw ether fe:fd:00:00:00:00

This command gives the following error message:

   SIOCSIFHWADDR: No such device

If I try a different MAC Address ( fe:fd:00:00:00:01 for instance ), I get
exactly the same error.

Can anyone see if I am doing something wrong, or missed a step out?

Regards,
Gillian.
-
Tinc site:    http://ftp.nl.linux.org/pub/linux/tinc/